I don’t think there’s anyone that doesn’t need to save a few dollars on their energy bill. With the onset of winter, the heaters will be cranking which will make for higher than average heating payments.
We’ve offered a lot of energy saving tips here on the blog over the past year or so. But with winter on the way, it’s time to refresh our list and apply some tips to get those energy savings we desperately need.
Top Winter Energy Saving Tips
- Block your drafts -Cold air seeps in through doors and windows. Change the weatherstripping or even just use draft protectors
- Wrap your water heater for the most efficient use
- Change your heating filters often – That includes the ones inside the house as well as any filters that may be included in the unit itself.
- Check the insulation in your attic and add more if needed. Warm air rises and will escape through poorly insulated roofs
- Go solar wherever possible – This includes solar panels in your home and adding lighting outside your home. For holiday lights, look for solar powered, when possible. The energy drain from just displaying decorations can be expensive.
- Use your thermostat wisely with preset temperatures and automatic settings – By controlling your heat, you can take control of your heating bill
- Shut down big electronics such as desktop computers when not in use – These pull energy whether they’re running or not. Only use secondary refrigerators and freezers when absolutely necessary.
There are many other ways that we can cut our energy bills during the cold winter months. Many people utilize wood-burning or pellet burning heaters to reduce their use of electricity, propane or natural gas. And always, as normal, adding multiple layers of clothing can help too.
When it comes to solar lighting, winter is our darkest season and adding solar powered motion activated lights around the outside of our home can save not only money, but also increase security and safety.
Stop by our Amazon store for the best pricing on our solar light. Compact and easy to install. Perfect for any home.